UAE Team Emirates’ Darwin Atapuma produced a strong attacking display during Stage 11 of the Vuelta, as the Columbian secured a top 10 finish. Atapuma led the breakaway on the penultimate climb – the Alto de Velefique – and looked to be in a strong position with just 7km to go. The UAE Team Emirates rider was caught by the chasing peloton ascending the final climb – the Calar Alto – but still managed to finish in a respectable ninth place.
Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana Pro Team) pulled away from the breakaway group in the final kilometer of the race to claim his first ever Grand Tour stage victory. Chris Froome (Team Sky) holds on to the red jersey for another day.
Commenting on the result, UAE Team Emirates’ Darwin Atapuma said: “Today I did my best. I gave everything to win, but I couldn’t. When the best GC riders bridged the gap on me, I didn’t have enough energy to fight with them.”
Stage 12 will be another strong test for riders, as the relentless climbing continues. This is the fifth consecutive day where riders will have to tackle a category one climb, with today’s challenge – the Puerta del León – leading riders into the picturesque nature park of las Sierras Subbéticas. The riders then head north west for a category two climb, before descending to the finish in the Spanish town of Antequera.
— @UAE-TeamEmirates (@TeamUAEAbuDhabi) August 30, 2017
Stage 11 Results
1. Miguel Angel Lopez (Colombia) Astana Pro Team – 5:05:09
2. Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky – 00:14
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy) Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team – “
9. Darwin Atapuma (Colombia) UAE Team Emirates – 01:02
1. Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky – 45:18:01
2. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy) Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team – 01:19
3. Johan Esteban Chaves (Spain) ORICA Scott – 02:33
16. Louis Meintjes (SA) UAE Team Emirates – 06:39
Know more about Sport360 Application